RANDOLPH, MASS. (WHDH) - A Boston man is facing assault and drug charges after police say he violently attacked and choked a state trooper who pulled him over Saturday morning in Randolph before leading police on a wild chase.

A trooper responding to a report of a purple Dodge Charger traveling 81 mph in a 55 mph zone on Route 93 southbound just before 2:30 a.m. followed the vehicle onto Route 24 southbound, where he continued traveling at a high speed, police said.

After pulling the Charger over, police said the trooper determined that the driver, Devin Fuller, 29, had a suspended license.

When the trooper tried to take hold of Fuller’s arm, he said Fuller punched him in the face and reached toward his center console, officials said.

The trooper pulled Fuller out of his vehicle, in fear that he was reaching for a weapon in his center console, police said. The two got into an altercation in the breakdown lane.

Fuller allegedly continued striking the trooper repeatedly before tackling him to the ground and driving his face into the pavement, police said.

As the trooper got back onto his feet, police said the suspect grabbed him with both arms and drove him across two travel lanes toward oncoming traffic. A driver had to change lanes to avoid hitting the trooper, police said.

Both the trooper and Fuller fell to the ground and continued fighting. At that time, Fuller allegedly pulled at the trooper’s duty belt and reached for his service weapon. The trooper put both hands on his gun to prevent the suspect from gaining control of it, police said.

An off-duty trooper traveling on Route 24 saw what was happening and pulled over to help his fellow trooper, according to police. Fuller tried fleeing the scene by driving in reverse in the wrong direction, police said. He then put the car back into forward gear and pulled across two travel lanes and fled down Route 24 southbound at a high rate of speed, according to police.

The trooper returned to his cruiser to pursue Fuller and followed him to an industrial park in Stoughton, police said. At that time other troopers responded to assist, including an MSP K9 unit and the off-duty Trooper who had pulled over to help at the site of the assault.

Local police also responded to assist and found the abandoned Charger in the rear of the industrial area.

The MSP K9 unit and the trooper who had been assaulted attempted to find the suspect in a wooded area. At that time, police said Fuller was located by local police on Page Street behind a Hampton Inn & Suites.

Fuller declined medical attention and was booked at the State Police-Foxboro Barracks.

He is being charged with assault and battery on a police officer, assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and failure to stop for police.

Additionally, he is being charged with negligent operation of a motor vehicle, reckless operation of a motor vehicle, resisting arrest, operating after license suspension, speeding, and disturbing the peace.

Police said drugs and plastic bags were discovered in his vehicle, so Fuller is also being charged with possession of a Class D narcotic with intent to distribute and possession of a Class C narcotic with intent to distribute.

Fuller was ordered held at the Ash Street Jail in New Bedford on $50,000 cash bail pending an arraignment in Stoughton District Court on Monday.

The trooper involved was taken to Milton Hospital, where he was treated for contusions and lacerations to his head and upper body and a lower-body injury, police said.

(Copyright (c) 2020 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Join our Newsletter for the latest news right to your inbox